Welcome to Lightness & Being, a blog devoted to improved health, artistic expression, and the healing power of beauty.

I am Gwendolyn Noles, a writer and thinker. May my words offer you a nice respite from your day and also give you an opportunity to think more provocatively.

Friday, October 14, 2011

A History of Violence


Transformation is not simply a word. It is a genuine reality for many people. If a human being's heart is moved toward making a real change, then true conversion is possible. Think of Paul and the dramatic change he made after he was literally struck down on Damascus Rd.  Despite the fact that he spent the majority of his subsequent years on earth inside prison cells or being stoned by people in cities that did not believe in his change or in what he taught, he lived a pure life and left behind some of the most powerful words about transformation and the power of love in the Bible.

Think also of Mary Magdalene, a woman who reputedly was a prostitute, yet after she met Jesus, she became an apostle, a devout follower. No one wanted to believe in Mary's change either, but she was probably one of the most important people in the New Testament and in Jesus' life. She was in fact the first person who saw him after he was resurrected.

I know how rare it is for people to believe that you are capable of change after you make a mistake in this life. I know because I am a person who erred greatly, and yet, I have transformed as utterly and completely as a butterfly after changing from a caterpillar. The butterfly can never go back to its cocoon. It's transformation is absolute. And, I, like the butterfly, have transformed my life. I have transformed as an act of daily will and commitment. My change is complete. And though most people don't want to believe I have changed after the unfortunate crime I committed, I can only prove my change is true by living a pure life, one in which I am mindful of my actions, one in which I love others and show compassion for all beings. I am "being" peace and showing I am peaceful each and every day.

If you have ever been in my situation and you have undergone a change, yet you still feel judged by others, do not trouble yourself or feel despair. Live a good life, one which you are unashamed of. Be happy and forgiving of yourself. Love yourself, even if no one else, except God, loves you. And whether people believe in your change or not, you will be free and happy and can find peace.

No one is born perfect or absolutely good. We all err, and we all must forgive one another for it. If we don't, we are all less free. Freedom is our birthright, and no matter what mistakes we make, we all deserve a right to be free.

No comments:

Post a Comment